Jill! I was seriously think about you today as I wrote about the SLC half. I was thinking "Jill would love doing a half." My advice would be mostly mental. First of all, just have fun. What's the worst thing that will happen? You'll have to stop and walk for a minute? Also, I'm all about finishing, and not about time. If you're in to time, you'll probably train differently than I do, but if you're just in to finishing, you don't need to kill yourself training. Just be diligent about the runs that you're supposed to do. Know that you'll have good runs and bad runs, meaning some days you'll feel like you could keep going forever, and some days you'll want to quit from the beginning, but it doesn't mean you're any less prepared. I've never run more than 8 miles at once training for a half. Adrenaline will get you the rest of the way on race day, but you might want to 9 or 10 about 2 weeks before. If you can figure it out to work with your schedule, do a few shorter races to train. It's a lot less boring to do your 6-10 mile runs with a lot of other people around you and cheering you on. Above all else, don't worry and have fun! That's the point! I'll set up a google group or blog where you, Kim, Tarin, Danny and I can all post notes and ideas. Good luck! You'll do great!!!
I just set up the group (I spend 8 hours a day at work in front of a computer and I get REALLY bored ;). I sent you an invite, but I'm not sure I have your current address. Here's the group page: http://groups.google.com/group/the-happy-halfers
If you didn't get an invite, there should be a link to request one, I think.
My favorite is the one where they are all laying down together. ADORABLE!
Jill! I was seriously think about you today as I wrote about the SLC half. I was thinking "Jill would love doing a half." My advice would be mostly mental. First of all, just have fun. What's the worst thing that will happen? You'll have to stop and walk for a minute? Also, I'm all about finishing, and not about time. If you're in to time, you'll probably train differently than I do, but if you're just in to finishing, you don't need to kill yourself training. Just be diligent about the runs that you're supposed to do. Know that you'll have good runs and bad runs, meaning some days you'll feel like you could keep going forever, and some days you'll want to quit from the beginning, but it doesn't mean you're any less prepared. I've never run more than 8 miles at once training for a half. Adrenaline will get you the rest of the way on race day, but you might want to 9 or 10 about 2 weeks before. If you can figure it out to work with your schedule, do a few shorter races to train. It's a lot less boring to do your 6-10 mile runs with a lot of other people around you and cheering you on. Above all else, don't worry and have fun! That's the point! I'll set up a google group or blog where you, Kim, Tarin, Danny and I can all post notes and ideas. Good luck! You'll do great!!!
I just set up the group (I spend 8 hours a day at work in front of a computer and I get REALLY bored ;). I sent you an invite, but I'm not sure I have your current address. Here's the group page: http://groups.google.com/group/the-happy-halfers
If you didn't get an invite, there should be a link to request one, I think.